Today, my best friend and I have kidnapped each other.
We’re going to spend the whole day doing whatever we want to do.
Our phones are on silent.
We haven’t told anyone what time we’ll be home.
We haven’t even decided where we’ll go.
We’re winging that part.
We might visit somewhere new.
We might go on an adventure.
But we did both bring a book, just in case.
Today, I am feeling very low. So, I am trying to focus on things for which I am thankful.
I know it won’t fix things, but it’s a positive distraction from my own misery.
Most of these are in no particular reason, although the first four are in the right place at the top of the list of what I am thankful for today:
- My best friend. For so, so many reasons that I can only barely start to count.
- Encouragement from friends. Even when life really sucks, they have my back.
- My dog. Abbey the Labby always knows when I need extra love.
- Scout Kitty purring on my lap. She, too, has been extra attentive.
- The lovely quilt with which I have wrapped myself. It was a gift from my best friend at Christmas time, and given that I can’t hug her today, it’s the next best thing.
- The audiobook I’m listening to. It’s good to give my mind something else to do.
- Peanut butter on toast.
- Coffee. In all honesty, I am thankful for coffee every day. You all should be, too… because even if you’re not drinking it, I am.
- Downtime, and the fact that I got all those exams and reports done. I really don’t think I could have maintained that pace much longer.
- The fact that I do not have to sit upright on stupid courtroom seats for one single minute of today. My spine has been brutalised this past week.
- Pain medication. Enough said.
- A Poet’s Curse. I’ve been reading it for therapeutic reasons last night and today. It helps.